1. Alcohol – Alcohol may be one of the 5 top most causes to snoring. A regular drinker is more likely to snore. Alcohol relaxes your throat and neck muscles. This results in snoring. Snoring occurs because the relaxed muscles cause obstacle in breathing.
You can find out whether alcohol is causing snoring in your case or not. See when you do not drink, then see whether that night you have snoring problem or not. If not, then snoring in your case is caused by alcohol. So stop alcohol consumption or at least reduce the quantity.
2. Sleeping on Your Back – Sleeping on your back may be another one cause of the 5 top most causes to snoring. You may find that snoring occurs when you sleep on your back. To get rid of snoring because of this cause, you have to train yourself to sleep on your side.
You can use a tennis ball to train yourself. Take a tennis ball in a sock and just pin it at the back of your pajamas. This will not let you sleep on your back. Slowly, you will develop the habit of not sleeping on your back.
3. Overweight – Are you overweight? Then this may be another one of the top 5 most causes of snoring. Fats get deposited at your neck and throat area, which cause problem in breathing. As your airways are blocked, you tend to snore.
Loose some extra pounds. This way, you will loose some fats deposited at your neck area. This will help you to get rid of snoring. So exercise, run, take weight lose programmes to loose weight.
4. Sleeping pills – Sleeping pill is another main cause of snoring. They act like alcohol. They relax the throat and neck muscles. Then these relaxed muscles cause snoring by blocking the airways.
So if possible do not take sleeping pills, when you are suffering from snoring. Talk to your doctor and find out what else you can use.
5. Allergies – Allergies may be another top cause of snoring. Allergies may cause nasal blockage which may lead to snoring. Your body cannot get the needed air. As the air vessels are blocked so your body may show result in the form of snoring.
Again for allergies, antihistamines are used. They cause relaxation of the muscles, which is another cause of snoring. So, in case of nasal blockage, you can use anti congestions instead of histamines.